Founded in 1851, Rook Lane was one of the original founders of this Cemetery, which has over 6,200 documented burials.Situated in Vallis Road, Frome the Chapel stands just inside the Entrance Gates and the major part of the Cemetery, same 0.86 hectares, is located behind the Chapel.
Ongoing maintenance, both to the grounds and in repair of broken headstones etc, is the current project of the Trustees and Volunteers. It is hoped soon to start work on renovating the Chapel and front gate pillars.
Other major work involves rebuilding the boundary wall. Trustees are seeking builders who might be willing to give their time and perhaps use the rebuilds necessary, to train apprentices. The alternative is to cost the project and raise the necessary funds.
The Cemetery includes a dozen CWGC War Graves, 10 from WW1 and 2 from WW2. A number of Family Graves also record details of Servicemen who died overseas, including one from the 2nd Boer War. On the anniversary of each serviceman’s death, a short Remembrance Ceremony is held at 1100 hrs and a Poppy Wreath laid, IN REMEMBRANCE
The picture above, taken in 2015 shows (l to r) Derek Wilson, Chairman Frome RNA, Mr Ron Stone nephew of Quartermaster Sergeant Percy George MACEY, and Jane Norris, Chair of Frome Royal British Legion.
Mr Stone is a former Royal Marine who served in Burma during WW2. He is also a former member and Sunday School Teacher at Rook Lane.
The Trustees’ Secretary can be contacted at email@example.com or The Chapel, Frome Dissenters’ Cemetery, Vallis Road, FROME, Somerset, BA11 3EH